Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:39:43 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: What is wrong with my proc sql?
Comments:   To: "Wainwright, Andrea" <andrea.wainwright@CAPITALONE.COM>

Andrea: Sometimes I have to run a SAS SQL SELECT query through a syntax check to make sure that it observes the precedence of SELECT clauses: Create ... Select ... From ... Where ... Group ... or CSFWG. Although shamelessly egomnemonical, the memory aid that first occurred to me was Call Sig for Westat guru. (I'm sure that I'll regret posting this on a Friday. 'fatuous', 'fake', 'fraudulent', or 'goofball' would work just as well!) Sig

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Wainwright, Andrea Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 9:46 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: What is wrong with my proc sql?

Apparently I had to swap the from and the where. Never realized that before.

-----Original Message----- From: Wainwright, Andrea Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 9:41 AM To: 'SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU' Subject: What is wrong with my proc sql?

proc sql; create table y.usm as select varA, varB, RESIDENCE_ID where substr(residence_id,13,1)='9' _____ 22 76 ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a quoted string, !, !!, &, (, *, **, +, ',', -, '.', /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND, AS, BETWEEN, CONTAINS, EQ, FORMAT, FROM, GE, GT, IN, INFORMAT, INTO, IS, LABEL, LE, LEN, LENGTH, LIKE, LT, NE, NOT, NOTIN, OR, ^, ^=, |, ||, ~, ~=.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

17 from data.mydata; NOTE: PROC SQL set option NOEXEC and will continue to check the syntax of statements.

************************************************************************** The information transmitted herewith is sensitive information intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.