Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:00:10 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Fickbohm <DavidF@HOMEGAIN.COM>
Subject:      A Constant in SAS

People, I am working in Windows XP SAS V8.1 I inherited a SAS program that divides a variable by the number of days since jan 1 2003. The method by predecessor used is ugly but works. He divided the first row of the dataset by _N_ or one. Since the first row was Jan 1 2003 data and and he has a row in the dataset for each day since jan 1 2003 and all he wanted was the last row divided by number of days since jan 1 2003 this did works.

I am trying to replace this situation with something more understandable, clearer, etc.

Temporarily I have derived the number of days since jan 1 2003 in the datastep above the datastep where the division of the variable by the number of days since Jan 1 2003 is done. This puts the number of days since jan 1 2003 in the datastep where the division is done.

My question is: Is there someway of deriving the number of days since jan 1, 2003 at the top of the program and then putting that number into a constant variable I can use later in the datastep where the division is done ?

Thanks in Advance Dave

Dave Fickbohm Data Mining Analyst Homegain+ 2450 45th St. Emeryville, CA, 94608 Phone 510 655 0800 ext 4151