Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:13:07 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Integration-Communicating with PC SAS and Mainframe
Comments: To: Jeomoan Kurian <jeomoan@GMAIL.COM>

Jeomoan-

To my knowledge the biggest hurdle is to allocate the GDS on MVS from the PC.

I'd suggest maybe something like this: have your PC job extract the data, have PC SAS FTP a job directly into the job entry system (JES) to allocate the GDS, and then FTP the data from PC SAS to the GDS.

Something like this can upload the JCL directly to JES to allocate the GDS:

<untested and plagiarized from various SAS-L posts>

data _null_; file 'FtpScript'; put 'open <ftp-server>' / '<username>' / '<password>' / 'quote site filetype=jes' / 'put GDS_JCL.txt' / 'quit'; stop; run;

x ftp -s <FtpScript>;

</ untested and plagiarized from various SAS-L posts>

Now your GDS is ready and you can use SAS PC FTP to upload to it.

Good luck...

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeomoan Kurian Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 11:09 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Integration-Communicating with PC SAS and Mainframe

SAS-L, I am to automate an FTP process between Windows and Mainframe(MVS, I use ISPF) . This also involves creation of a dataset in Mainframe.

Outcome of my PC Based data extraction and cleaning is a text file that i will have to export into a mainframe datafile for further processing. The present process, i generate the text file in PC SAS, Create a new dataset(generation dataset) in Mainframe and using the Mainfram interface utility i FTP the text file to maniframe file. I read about SAS capabilities to automate such processes but did not get any help specific to this. I have done ftp but stuck at Allocating a dataset.

Please let me know your thoughts thanks, jeomoan kurain