Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:13:22 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         gh <ehankamo@UCI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Output files on the mainframe

Thanks for the help thus far everyone! Here are my answers to the last post and everyone else.

1) What kind of file are you writing? RTF? HTML?...? An XML file for my project but this problem applies to all file types that I ftp to my pc. So i think file type is irrelevant since their extensions are added when i dl to my pc.

2) LRECL of a flat TSO file being limited to 32k does not mean it cannot swallow more than 32k worth of data. THat is correct, but what i experience is that supposed i have a 60k file output. It swallows the first 32k, then places the following 28k on a new line, which breaks up my data.

3) Are you setting LRECL as a FILE statement option or as a DCB attribute when the file is allocated. You may have not allocated a file with LRECL long enough. I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer that question lol. Even my senior programmer that i follow doesn't know the solution. :(

4) Make sure RECFM=FB and LRECL is long enough. I have not encountered any problems writing HTMLs/RTFs with as short a record as as 8k. I've set my LRECL to the max 30000 (anything above causes JCL error). My outputs are well above 30k.

5) After ODS has written to it, FTP is to PC as binary. Can you please tell me how? I'll do some googling soon but doesn't hurt to ask now right :-) ? Please see below for an attempt at a clearer explanation.

6) Show us relevant parts of your code, including ones where you allocate your file and write to it; it will facilitate better help. Please see below (pretty long)

To be honest I am new to this so I followed examples of my coworker's programs and it was something like this in my JCL:

----------------------------------------------------------------------- //MYOUTPUT DD DSN=0000001.BLAHBLAH.RAH.BLAH, LRECL=30000, BLKSZ=90000,BLKFM=VB

ODS HTML FILE=MYOUTPUT; PROC PRINT DATA=SOMEINPUT; RUN; ODS HTML CLOSE;

----------------------------------------------------------------------- I have also messed with many different sizes and options with lrecl,blksz and blkfm (v,vb,fb) I hope you guys understand that this isn't so much a SAS problem, but a mainframe problem...

For example i download like this using command promt (CMD) on windows xp:

get 'DSN=0000001.BLAHBLAH.RAH.BLAH' output.txt

And supposed my 30k output is:

"BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH"

when i ftp it down, it gets cut off and shows up as

"BLAHBLAHBL AHBLAH"

And i noticed that cutoff points started at every 30k, or whatever size i set LRECL to. My max LRECL is 30000 but this project im working on can easily produce files greater than 30000 bytes.

**************************************************************************** *** THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP! I HOPE I DONT TROUBLE YOU (TOO MUCH)!