Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:27:40 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Designated windows with 2 instances of SPSS

Here is an autoscript that might be useful in keeping track of multiple sessions. Put this in your autoscript file (normally autoscript.sbs in the scripts directory) and make sure that it is enabled via Edit/Options/Scripts. You might need to restart SPSS afterwards to get this to work.

What it does is each time a syntax window is opened, whether new or an existing syntax file, it inserts a comment at the top of the window containing the date/time and the name of the current data file (blank if a new unsaved file). Since it is inserted as a comment, you can include it in commands you run without SPSS complaining.

Sub document_create(obj As Object) On Error Resume Next If (obj.Type = 2) Then obj.Text = "*syntax window created:" & Now() & _ " Data File:" & objSpssApp.Documents.GetDataDoc(0).GetDocumentPath _ & "." & vbCrLf & obj.Text End If End Sub

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Dashper Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:04 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] Designated windows with 2 instances of SPSS

Click on the 'window' menu at the top of the syntax file and see which data file is associated with that syntax. (Or, click on the 'window' menu at the top of the data file and see which syntax etc) HTH John Dashper

-----Original Message----- From: David Hutton [mailto:David.Hutton@cem.dur.ac.uk] Sent: 12 October 2004 15:12 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Designated windows with 2 instances of SPSS

Dear Listers: How can I tell which of two data files a syntax window will work on?

I am examining the data file (1) created from a long process, and to do so I have changed the column widths so I can see the important variables at a glance - I could have changed their order if I wished. But I do not wish to save these changes. (although of course I have saved the syntax that produced the file!)

Meanwhile I want to examine the data in a file (2) that is a precursor of the above file (1), so I have opened a second instance of SPSS.

Without risking changing the data in either file, how can I tell which datafile will be affected when I run syntax? I know that a designated window has an exclamation point in red in the status bar, but that does not tell me which of the two files it will affect if I run syntax from it. In particular I wish to run a GET DATA, which would overwrite what's in the working file.

All the best, David Hutton

Secondary Co-ordinator for Local Education Authorities and International Schools _______________________________________________ The Curriculum, Evaluation and Management Centre: C.E.M. Centre, University of Durham Mountjoy Research Centre 4 Stockton Road, DURHAM DH1 3UZ Tel: +44(0)191 33 44 235 CEM Centre Website - www.cemcentre.org