Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:01:01 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Adding Group totals in the same file

at 10:55 AM 11/22/2004, Martins Liberts wrote:

>***Untested syntax***. > >agg out="temp.sav" > /break year age gender > /a1 a2 a3 a4=sum(a1 a2 a3 a4). > >add files > /file=* > /file="temp.sav" > /in gr_tot. > >sort cases by year age gender gr_tot.

I think this is just right. However, if the input file is already sorted by year-age-gender, the SORT CASES is unnecessary: the new total case will automatically follow the existing cases in the group, as long as the file with the totals is listed second on the ADD FILES (as you have it). Syntax manual, for ADD CASES/BY:

"Cases in the resulting file are ordered by the values of the key variables. All cases from the first file with the first value for the key variable are first, followed by all cases from the second file with the same value, followed by all cases from the third file with the same value, and so forth. These cases are followed by all cases from the first file with the next value for the key variable, and so on."