Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:08:39 -0600
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Dunn, Toby" <Toby.Dunn@TEA.STATE.TX.US>
Subject:   Re: Mainframe and caps (was: A question about macro quote)

Robert, I agree there is very little compeling reasons to have it in all caps on the mainframe in most cases. However, on the editor that my shop uses I have found it both easier and less complicated for new users to just use the default of all caps rather than haveing to go in and type cf in our editor everytime I log into out system. When I use PC or unix SAS the editors there I am teh strongest advocate of upper and lower case use. But I know what you are saying and can see how what I said may be misconstrued. Toby

________________________________

From: SAS(r) Discussion on behalf of Robert Bardos Sent: Sun 11/21/2004 3:09 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Mainframe and caps (was: A question about macro quote)

Toby,

being a mainframe bigot let me emphasize for all the non-mainframers out there that there is no compelling reason to code SAS with caps on on mainframes. (I'm pretty well aware that you know this). People usually do so when running SAS in batch where the code is surrounded by JCL (Job Control Language) which has to be all uppercase (apart from comments, parameter strings that are being passed to the executing program plus some of the Unix System Services related things and maybe a few more that escape me right now). But it is no must. I personally call it laziness (practice driven laziness might be more appropriate).

To get the best of both worlds I usually set one of the PF keys in the ISPF editor to :uc which when pressed capitalizes the line at the cursor position. That is, I edit with caps off and whenever I enter or modify a JCL line I press PFnn instead of or right after the enter key (or - admittedly - right after getting a JCL error 8^) ).

So a clarification only, not meant to criticize you. And I do know that there are more aspects to this (like nocaps code being modified/"edit_copied" by people who "ISPF edit" with caps on thereby uppercasing modified/copied lines; a nuisance which AFAIK can only be prevented by forcing people to use an initial edit macro that sets caps off; well, as I think about it, this would never be accepted since there is still a plenty of utilities/tools around that require uppercase input.)

Long live the mainframe!

Robert Bardos Ansys AG, Switzerland

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Dunn, Toby Gesendet: Sonntag, 21. November 2004 02:31 An: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Betreff: FW: A question about macro quote

<snip>

(sorry for the caps had to run it on the mainframe)

</snip>