Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:51:10 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Fred <ieaggie2002@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Why macro thinks DIM function is a character operator?

Hi, all I use Macro to do loop computation, which involves the dimension of an existing data set. However, I cannot get it run, since there were messages as below:

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE = 'test.txt' OUT = TEST DBMS = TAB REPLACE; RUN; PROC SQL NOPRINT; SELECT name INTO:num_list separated BY " " FROM dictionary.columns WHERE libname="WORK" AND memname="TEST" AND TYPE = "num"; Quit;

%LET nef=DIM(&num_list);

%MACRO LaggedEF; %local i; %local j; DATA LagedEF; SET test; nlag = 2; ARRAY AT{*} &num_list; ARRAY AT1{*} EF1-EF%eval(nlag*nef); %DO i=1 %TO nef AT1(&i) = AT(&i); %END; %DO j = 1 %TO nlag; %DO i=1 %TO nef; AT1(&j*nef+i) = lag(AT1((&j-1)*nef+&i)); %END; %END; RUN; %MEND LaggedEF; %LaggedEF; ERROR: A character operand was found in the %EVAL function or %IF condition where a numeric operand is required. The condition was: nlag*nef ERROR: Missing numeric suffix on a numbered variable list (EF1-EF). WARNING: Defining an array with zero elements. ERROR: The macro LAGGEDEF will stop executing. RUN;

I think "nef" is already a numerical value before the macro definiton. Why macro does not recognize it?

Please give me a hand on this. Thanks for your point.

Fred