Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:53:11 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Chang Y. Chung" <chang_y_chung@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Selecting on character string characteristics
Comments: To: Laughing Beggar <laughing_beggar@HOTMAIL.COM>

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 03:10:50 +0000, Laughing Beggar <laughing_beggar@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Hi all, >Having finally discovered the colon will let me find character variable >strings that start a certain way (eg (icd10d1 = :'M85.1') finds me all the >values that start with M85.1) I now have to limit this to character strings >that do not contain a forward slash (/). How do I do this ? or where can I >find some documentation on selecting by character string characteristics ? >Thanks

Hi, Laughing Beggar,

That is easy. just use index() function -- if not found, then it will return 0, which is false when evaluated in the logical context, like below.

Is the Beggar laughing? :-)

Cheers, Chang

/* test data */ data one; v = "M85.1 "; output; v = "M85.1/M85.2"; output; v = "M85.2 "; output; run;

/* select only those that start with M85.1 but having no slash character */ data two; set one; where v =: "M85.1" and not index(v,"/") ; run; /* check */ proc print data=two; run; /* on lst Obs v 1 M85.1 */