Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:51:06 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG>
Subject:   SAS IML and SAS GRAPH - ease of learning? comparison with R?

Hello

I am currently involved in a new project for me, a meta-analysis. Currently, I use SAS BASE (a little), and SAS STAT (a lot), for fancier graphs and/or statistics that aren't in SAS STAT, I use R.

This project will necessarily involve me learning more SAS BASE. But after that we have a choice, and I'd like some advice

We can either 1) Get SAS GRAPH and SAS IML or 2) Stay with what we are doing. SAS GRAPH and IML are expensive; R is free. But R has a steep learning curve, and some of the analyses may need to be done by other people than me; those people don't know R, and don't want to learn it. With SAS, we can rely (to an extent) on programs that Wang and Bushman wrote about in their book on meta-analysis with SAS.....But at least one of us (me) will probably have to learn at least some of how those programs work, in case they need to be modified (which seems likely).

Sorry for going on so long, but (as people who've been following other threads know) I like to provide context.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core Center for Drug Use and HIV Research National Development and Research Institutes 71 W. 23rd St www.peterflom.com New York, NY 10010 (212) 845-4485 (voice) (917) 438-0894 (fax)