Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 2004 02:58:14 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jim Groeneveld <jim1stat@YAHOO.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: SAS faster than SPSS?
Comments: To: Benny Kong <kong1@UMBC.EDU>

Hi Benny,

Yes, I may have been spreading that rumour in the past too. I had quite some experience with SPSS; the last time I used it was about 8 years ago and it was vs. 8 or 9 (I believe) for Windows (under W95). After that I started learning and using SAS (vs. 6.12 for Windows) in quite another employment. SPSS is an interpreted language, SAS is being compiled. In SPSS loop statements are being interpreted every iteration. That takes time. It was my impression that SAS was/is quicker, but I never did any comparison. What would be a minimal rough speed factor if you at least have some impression? 10? I wouldn't know, but the impression holds.

Regards - Jim. -- Y. (Jim) Groeneveld, MSc., Biostatistician, Science Team Vitatron B.V., Meander 1051, 6825 MJ Arnhem P.O.Box 5227, 6802 EE Arnhem, the Netherlands Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365, Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld_AT_Vitatron.com (replace _AT_ by AT sign) http://www.vitatron.com, http://home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld