Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:44:13 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dunn, Toby" <Toby.Dunn@TEA.STATE.TX.US>
Subject:      Re: How long does it take to learn SAS,
              and how good is the Learning Edition
Comments: To: express_myself_01@YAHOO.COM

Express_myself,

What comstitutes a reasonable amount, my reasonable amount is different than say Ian's, Richard's, Howard's, or Ron's.... They may say I know a reasonable amount or they may say I don't. Subjective words generally lead to a bad answer.

So as for resources: SAS-L of course, SUGI and regioal SUG papers always a good, books like the "little SAS primer" Book are good places, and just plain old fashion sitting down and playing with SAS trying to solve a problem (see first option in list for a slew of problems to solve with solutions).

As for time line, who knows it would depend on how fast your friend catchs on. It could be one month or twenty years.... I would say if they have already programmed in another language I would think they would faster at catching onto programming in Sas than someone who has never programmed.

Toby Dunn

"It's OK to figure out murder mysteries, but you shouldn't need to figure out code. You should be able to read it." -Steve C McConnell