Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:57:14 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dunn, Toby" <Toby.Dunn@TEA.STATE.TX.US>
Subject:      Re: column-wise sum() in proc sql?
Comments: To: "Pardee, Roy" <pardee.r@GHC.ORG>

Roy, Are you refering to something like the following: DATA ONE; DO X = 1 TO 10; Y = 2; OUTPUT; END; RUN; PROC SQL; CREATE TABLE SUM AS SELECT * , SUM(X,Y) AS ACROSS FROM ONE; QUIT; PROC PRINT DATA = SUM; RUN; hth Toby

From: SAS(r) Discussion on behalf of Pardee, Roy Sent: Thu 12/23/2004 11:10 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: column-wise sum() in proc sql?

Hey All,

Is it possible to use sas' sum() function to do a sum across columns in proc sql? I thought I'd read somewhere that when parsing selects that include functions like sum(), sas figures out from whether or not there's a var list inside the parens whether to do a sas-datastep-style sum across columns, or rather a sql-style aggregate sum across rows.

Neither of these are working for me. Am I hallucinating the feature described above? Or maybe it's a v9 thing (I'm running v8.2)?

proc sql ; create table bsrr as select studyid , infodate , txremevr as EverBiopsy , sum(of father brother son mother sister daughter) as Num1stDeg , sum(of aunt grmother) as Num2dDeg from bsrr.bsrrupdt as b inner join ditpc.xwalk as x on b.chsid = x.chsid where surveydt between "&Start"d and "&End" ; create table bsrr as select studyid , infodate , txremevr as EverBiopsy , sum(of father, brother, son, mother, sister, daughter) as Num1stDeg , sum(of aunt, grmother) as Num2dDeg from bsrr.bsrrupdt as b inner join ditpc.xwalk as x on b.chsid = x.chsid where surveydt between "&Start"d and "&End" ; end ;

Thanks!

-Roy

Roy Pardee Research Analyst/Programmer Center For Health Studies (Cancer Research Network) Group Health Cooperative (206) 287-2078

This message and any attached files might contain confidential information protected by federal and state law. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entities originally named as addressees. The improper disclosure of such information may be subject to civil or criminal penalties. If this message reached you in error, please contact the sender and destroy this message. Disclosing, copying, forwarding, or distributing the information by unauthorized individuals or entities is strictly prohibited by law.