Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:15:58 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeffrey Miller <millerjeffm@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      SPSS growth model problem

Hi all,

I am running into a simple unconditional growth model but keep running into the same problem. My dependent variable is continuous. There are no level-2 predictors. The level-1 predictor is time with 5 levels. The levels are years (e.g., 2000, 2001) and I am centering such that the first year is 0 in order to make the intercept meaningful. I get reasonable parameter estimates for the intercept and time. The level-1 variance and the covariance are fine, but I get 0 for the level-2 variance and the message "This covariance parameter is redundant".

Below is my code:

title "Unconditional Growth Model". mixed y_var with center_time /print=solution /method=ml /fixed = center_time /random intercept center_time | subject(id) covtype(un). execute.

Any ideas,

Jeff Miller