Date:   Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:53:26 +0100
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Dirk Enzmann <dirk.enzmann@jura.uni-hamburg.de>
Subject:   Re: Problem with factor analysis
Comments:   To: marcos.sanches@IPSOS.COM.BR

Marcos,

The problem with pairwise deletion is, that it can produce correlation matrices that do not satisfy the triangular inequality conditions among triples of correlation coefficients.

For an explanation I will draw haevily from Wothke (1993) (see below):

The admissible range of correlations between two variables i and j is codetermined by the correlations of all other variables with i and j. Consider the following correlation matrix

v1 v2 v3 v1 1.0 v2 .9 1.0 v3 -.5 .9 1.0

V2 correlates .9 with both variables v1 and v3, which, in turn, are correlated at -.5. However, if r(v1,v2) and r(v2,v3) are taken to be .9, r(v1,v3) can range only between .62 and 1.0.

You can check the admissible range by calculating the limiting values of r(vi,vj) using:

limit1 = cos(acos(vi,vx)-acos(vj,vx)) and limit2 = cos(acos(vi,vx)+acos(vj,vx))

where x stands for any arbitrary third variable in the same correlation matrix. In the example, the range of r(v1,v3) is limited between

cos(acos(.9)-acos(.9)) = cos(.451 - .451) = 1.0 and cos(acos(.9)-acos(.9)) = cos(.451 + .451) = .62.

If, due to pairwise deletion of missing values, r(v1,v3) happens to fall outside these limits, the correlation matrix is not positive definite, that is, at least one eigenvalue is negative. The above correlation matrix yields the following eigenvalues:

( 2.047, 1.500, -.547)

As a consequence, the SPSS procedure FACTOR will stop with the warning: Matrix not positive definite.

For a more detailled discussion see:

Wothke, W. (1993). Nonpositive definite matrices in structural modeling. In K.A. Bollen & J.S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models (pp. 256-293). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.

Dirk

************************************************* Dr. Dirk Enzmann Institute of Criminal Sciences Dept. of Criminology Schlueterstr. 28 D-20146 Hamburg Germany

phone: +49-040-42838.7498 (office) +49-040-42838.4591 (Billon) fax: +49-040-42838.2344 email: dirk.enzmann@jura.uni-hamburg.de www: http://www2.jura.uni-hamburg.de/instkrim/kriminologie/Mitarbeiter/Enzmann/Enzmann.html *************************************************