Date:         Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:01:15 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: US Zip Code Syntax
Comments: To: Noel Kinder <noel_kinder@yahoo.com>

But don't use RECODE for this. Use the MATCH/ADD approach with a TABLE file.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Noel Kinder Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 12:55 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] US Zip Code Syntax

I am pretty adept at the Census Bureau site and I have scoured the postal site. It appears the opnly way to get the codes is to go state-by-state matching the first three digits to each state. This is possible for me to do. I am also aware that it would be a bear of a recode. I was hoping, before I reinvented the wheel, that someone else may have already done this and would be willing to share with everyone.

Jay, thank you for the tip on the first 3 digits of the zip code! That was useful.

Thank you all for you assistance to date.

Noel

"Cardwell, Susan" <susan.cardwell@mwsu.edu> wrote: Jay et. al, with that logic I'm wondering if the postal site has a chart that's importable into excel that can be formatted to a syntax variable label command. We do that often with CIP codes, county codes and such.

Susan Cardwell Midwestern State University Wichita Falls, TX

-----Original Message----- From: Goodwin, Jay ARI [mailto:JAY.GOODWIN@hqda.army.mil] Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 11:56 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: US Zip Code Syntax

Hi Noel,

You can use the first three digits of a zip code to identify the corresponding state. You can usually get this information off the web at the post office or census bureau. It will be a huge recode statement, but simple enough in concept.

Jay

-----Original Message----- From: Noel Kinder To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: 2/10/2005 10:16 AM Subject: US Zip Code Syntax

Hello,

I need to convert US zip codes to their respective states for a few data files. Has anyone had to do this? Is anyone willing to share their syntax for converting zip codes to their respective states?

Thank you in advance!

Noel Smith