Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:52:33 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         michael healy <healym@earthlink.net>
Subject:      macro parameter question

Hello,

I am writing a macro that will dichotomize a variable and optionally reflect the variable. As an option to the reflection subcommand, i want to be able to specify whether to replace the original variable or not. I want the format to look like this: varPrep <varlist> (val1, val2) /command subcommand.

varPrep someVar (1, 2) /reflect replace. --dichomtomizes, reflects, and replaces the original reflected variable.

varPrep someVar (1, 2) /reflect. --dichomtomizes, and reflects into a new var "someVarReflected"

I've got the <varlist> and the (val1, val2) set in the macro call, but I'm a bit lost on how to do the "/command subcommand because it can be 1 or 2 items.

I'd appreciate any input on this. I'm not married to this format. I'm just bored of writing all my macros like this... varPrep <varlist> (1, 2) /replace = yes /reflect = no.

Thanks, Mike