Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:47:04 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Nico Peruzzi <nperuzzi@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: help factor analysis
Comments: To: Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>

Hector,

I'm in SPSS 11. Do you know under which sub-menu one can adjust the convergence criterion, as you described?

Thanks, Nico

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:53:07 -0300, Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar> wrote: > It is customary, though not conceptually right, to treat Likert scales as > interval scales, e.g. for doing factor analysis or for getting sums and > average scores. > If your rotation fails to converge after 25 iterations, you may (1) increase > the convergence criterion (say from 0.0001 to 0.001), or (2) increase the > number of iterations (not much hope there), or (3) forget about rotation > (which is not what you want to do). The first one seems the most promising. > > Hector > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] > > On Behalf Of Mpundu Mukanga > > Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 2:25 PM > > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > > Subject: help factor analysis > > > > > > I have likert type data...trying to perfom factor analysis. > > When I specify the number of factors I am getting the error > > as shown below. Any syntax and pointers would greatly help. > > What is happening is here? what am I doing wrong? what does > > that say about the data? Any reasons why rotation is not > > converging? I maybe wrong here but I want to use promax > > results but what I would like to do first is to compare it > > against Varimax and Oblimin rotations. I want to try to > > extract different factors and try different rotations and and > > report the results that makes the most sense but I am getting > > this error in most cases. > > > > > > Secondly is it a recommended practice to sum up or average > > the scales scores? what i would like to do is create scales > > for each factor. > > > > I am told that the correlation coefficient matrix that > > rotations are based on in SPSS are not ideal for ordinal > > data? if not what alternatives are available? > > > > Thanks for help > > > > > > Rotated Component Matrix(a) > > > > > > > > a Rotation failed to converge in 25 iterations. (Convergence = .000). > > > > "Rotated Component Matrix(a) > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > Do you Yahoo!? > > Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less. > > >

-- Nico Peruzzi, Ph.D.