Date:         Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:37:00 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Kooij, A.J. van der" <KOOIJ@fsw.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject:      Re: Correspondence Analysis (Optimal Scaling/Homogenity Analysis)

Homogenity Analysis (Multiple Correspondence in SPSS 13.0; Homals in earlier versions) is (multiple) correspondence analysis. You can check this by using indicator matrix as input to Correspondence: The 2 analyses below give equal results (object scores Multiple Correspondence/Homals = row points Correspondence; quantifications Multiple Correspondence/Homals = columns points Correspondence) So, no need to recode variables.

The normalization subcommand is not available with Homals (Homals normalization is v(ariable) principal=c(olumn) principal), also no biplot with Homals (only separate plots of the object scores and the quantifications).

data list free/v1 v2 v3.

begin data.

1 2 1

2 2 1

2 3 1

2 2 2

3 2 2

3 2 2

3 1 2

end data.

Multiple Correspondence /var v1 v2 v3

/analysis v1 v2 v3

/normalization vprincipal

/print obj quant

/plot biplot.

data list free/g11 g12 g13 g21 g22 g23 g31 g32.

begin data.

1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0

0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0

0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0

0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1

0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1

0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1

0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1

end data.

Correspondence

/table=all(7,8)

/print rpoints cpoints

/normalization cprincipal

/plot biplot.

VECTOR g1(3F8.0).

LOOP #i = 1 TO 3.

COMPUTE g1(#i)= v1 = (#i).

END LOOP.

VECTOR g2(3F8.0).

LOOP #i = 1 TO 3.

COMPUTE g2(#i)= v2 = (#i).

END LOOP.

VECTOR g3(2F8.0).

LOOP #i = 1 TO 2.

COMPUTE g3(#i)= v3 = (#i).

END LOOP.

EXECUTE.

Regards,

Anita van der Kooij

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Claus D. Hansen Sent: Tue 15/02/2005 22:45 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Correspondence Analysis (Optimal Scaling/Homogenity Analysis)

Dear members of this list,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to an article, a book or some kind of website which had examples on how to perform correspondence analysis using the procedures Optimal Scaling and Homogenity Analysis in SPPS. What I am most interested in is how to recode variables so they could be used in this type of analysis.

Thank you in advance,

Claus D. Hansen

********************************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. **********************************************************************