Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:27:13 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Yampolskaya, Svetlena" <yampol@fmhi.usf.edu>
Subject:      Re: help with syntax

Dear List,

I have the following problem that I cannot solve. I have three variables: (a) id for the child, (b) a specific placement for the child, and (c) county. Each line represents a record so if one child have 10 placements I would have ten lines for the same child. However only the first line has county. My data look like this:

Id placement county

1 5 11 1 7 . 1 8 .

2 6 15 2 8 . 2 7 .

I need to replace missing values in 'county' variable with the value in the first line for the same child.

In other words, I want my data look like this:

Id placement county

1 5 11 1 7 11 1 8 11

2 6 15 2 8 15 2 7 15

It would not be a big problem if I have only two or three placements for one child but I have up to 35 placements.

Thank you in advance,

Lana