Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:54:20 +1100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Patrick Flanagan <flanagan@deakin.edu.au>
Subject:      Re: simple effects in GLM
Comments: To: "Parise, Carol A." <PariseC@sutterhealth.org>

Carol, What you want to do is available through Syntax. e.g. add the compare and adj keywords to the commands generated in the GUI and pasted into a syntax window: /EMMEANS = TABLES(group*time) compare(group) adj(bonf) This will compare the groups at each of the three times. Using a bonferroni adjustment for multiple comparisons. Other possible adjustments are Sidak and none.

here's the full syntax file: GLM time3 time2 time1 BY group /WSFACTOR = time 3 /METHOD = SSTYPE(3) /EMMEANS = TABLES(group) /EMMEANS = TABLES(time) /EMMEANS = TABLES(group*time) compare (group) adjust(bonferroni) /PRINT = DESCRIPTIVE /CRITERIA = ALPHA(.05) /WSDESIGN = time /DESIGN = group .

cheers, Patrick

At 6:03 PM -0800 16/2/05, Parise, Carol A. wrote: >Hi all, > >I've run a mixed design anova using GLM. I have one repeated factor >(time-3 levels) and one between subjects factor (group-2 levels). I >have a statistically significant time x group interaction. Now, i >want to know at what levels of time are the 2 groups different. I >recall that when i ran MANOVA, i would have done something like this: > >/design = time1 within group > >/design=time2 within group > >/design=time3 within group > >and the result would be anova tables for each of these tests. a >statistically significant F would mean that the 2 groups were >different at the given time. > >i cannot seem to accomplish this in GLM. the error seems simply to >be syntax. anyone know the correct way to tell spss to do this? > >thanks for your always valuable insights. > >carol > >sacramento, ca