Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:33:31 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Oliver, Richard" <richard@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: SPSS to MS Acess 2000
Comments: To: john@applied-insights.co.uk

Using SAVE TRANSLATE /TYPE=ODBC, the database must already exist. You cannot create a new database. You can replace or append to existing tables in the database or create new tables by specifying a table name on the TABLE subcommand that does not currently exist in the database, as in:

SAVE TRANSLATE /TYPE=ODBC /CONNECT= 'DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=C:\examples\data\dm_demo.mdb;'+ 'DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;' /TABLE='CombinedSubset' /REPLACE.

If CombinedSubset already exists in the database dm_demo.mdb, it is replaced; if it does not exits, it is created.

CONNECT strings can be rather convoluted. If you're not familiar with them, the recommended approach is to use the Database Wizard and paste the syntax and copy the CONNECT string from the pasted GET DATA command syntax.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of John McConnell Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:21 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SPSS to MS Acess 2000

To Frederic's point there is now a reverse ODBC option to export data from SPSS to an ODBC data source. Though this is hidden away in syntax and is not available as a menu option (the last time I looked!).

The SAVE TRANSLATE command will write data in a plethora of formats including /TYPE=ODBC. You can find more info in the Syntax Reference Guide.

This is probably the most seamless way. Of course you could simply export a delimited file or a .dbf file in a similar way and import them on the Access end.

Cheers john

John McConnell applied insights Beaumont House, Kensington Village Avonmore Road London W14 8TS

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Frederic Villamayor Sent: 17 February 2005 16:17 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SPSS to MS Acess 2000

Boris, My experience is not exactly on exporting SPSS data to Access. What I've actually done was importing SPSS data to Access by using the ODBC driver. This driver is distributed in the SPSS CD-ROM. It was not difficult to do it. The basic concepts are that all the SPSS data files must be on the same directory (which must be specified when defining your ODBC data source), and that each data file will be imported as an Access table. Don' sort or filter the data with SQL statements when importing. Better import the entire files, and then work with them once they are in Access format. You can import the data or you can create Access table linked to an SPSS data file. I'm working with SPSS 11. I don't know if latest versions can directly export data to Access, as you want.

Hope this helps.

Frederic

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Frederic Villamayor Unitat de Bioestadística Àrea de Desenvolupament Preclínic CIDF Ferrer Grupo Juan de Sada, 32 08028 - Barcelona Espanya

E-mail: fvillamayor-research@ferrergrupo.com Tel: +34 935093236 Fax: +34 934112764 WWW: www.ferrergrupo.com

---------- "Sanity is not statistical" 1984 (George Orwell)

Boris Ratchev <bratchev@yahoo.com> Enviado por: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 17.02.2005 16:54 Por favor, responda a bratchev

Para: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: Asunto: [SPSSX-L] SPSS to MS Acess 2000

Dear listserv,

Can anyone share their experience on exporitng data from SPSS 13.0 to MS Access 2000.

Thanks,

Boris Rachev Caliber Associates, Inc.