Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:00:34 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mario Rivera <mario.rivera@state.co.us>
Subject:      Combining select values from two variables

Greetings from Denver. I have been trying to figure out how to make some SAS code do the same thing in SPSS and can't figure out the syntax. The SAS code is...

if 1 <= howlong <= 2 then pasttwo = 1; else if 3 <= howlong <= 5 or hadmam = 2 then pasttwo = 2; else pasttwo = .;

I want to create a new variable called PASTTWO using values from HOWLONG and HADMAM. The RECODE command will only work for one variable at a time so HOWLONG and HADMAM cannot be "combined" into the PASTTWO. If anybody has any tips, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Mario Rivera