Date:         Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:59:55 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Limits on file size
Comments: To: Steve Kretzer <skretzer@indins.com>

At 11:25 AM 2/18/2005, Steve Kretzer wrote:

>I have a potential project that may require many millions of entries >(maybe 100,000,000). I think I remember reading that an SPSS data >file is theoretically only limited by the computer's memory, but does >anyone have any experience with working with .sav files this big?

First, from Jon Peck of SPSS, Inc., June 2003: >First, the theoretical SPSS limits are > >Number of variables: (2**31) -1 >Number of cases: (2**31) - 1

That is, a great many more than you need.

The number of variables you can handle gracefully is limited by your computer's main memory ('RAM'). More memory will speed up handling many cases, but only to a limit.

The number of *cases* you can handle is limited by your available (disk) storage, as Art Kendall wrote. (Actually, the limitation is on the file size, not the number of cases. If you have more variables, you'll be effectively limited to fewer cases, more or less in proportion.) Art is right, that you need disk space for several times your file size, to handle it easily.

As for speed, CPU speed won't help much. Two things that will, are, . The fastest disk you can get (higher disk speed, in RPM, will help) . Two disks rather than one, so you can set up your runs so SPSS reads from one and writes to the other.