Date:         Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:45:29 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DRKENDALL.ORG>
Subject:      Re: simplifying a series of commands
Comments: To: bgreen@dyson.brisnet.org.au

I concur with Dr Spousta.

However, I would like to add a couple of suggestions. When you enter the syntax into the syntax window (either directly of via <paste> from the GUI), highlight COUNT and click the syntax button to see what else can be done with COUNT.

In your original syntax you use "=" both as a logical operator and as an assignment operator. It often results in more readability and hence less confusion for yourself, your quality assurance reviewer, and those trying to help you if you use the conventional logical operators EQ GT GE LE LT OR AND. The symbolic operators are harder to read with most fonts and lighting conditions. Both approaches are syntactically correct and will result in the same operations when you have finished refining the syntax. It make the most difference during the refining and reviewing phases.

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA (301) 864-5570