Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:25:49 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Theise, Eric" <ETheise@anesthesia.ucsf.edu>
Subject:      versions and platforms

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for examples of how people get by in a multi-platform environment. Specifically, our campus has a license for SPSS/Windows: version 12, base, plus a couple of modules. That package seems to have the feature set we need in our Center. And though it's really pedestrian, the ability to use >8 character variable names is important to our workflow.

Our Center Director works primarily on a Mac, though he is a power Windows user as well. Apparently, SPSS still has no release date for version 12 for the Mac. So we seem to be faced with two options:

* run SPSS/Windows version 12 under Virtual PC * run SPSS/Mac version 11 and deal with extensive variable renaming/relabeling as data passes back and forth throughout our group

I wonder if anyone has any experiences using SPSS under Virtual PC, or if there are other options that I'm missing.

Many thanks in advance.

--Eric