Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:37:28 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
Subject:      Re: changing length of a string
Comments: To: Ralf Zimmermann <Ralf.Zimmermann@ifes.uni-erlangen.de>

In all files run:

format vbein1 (A50). compute vbein1 = vbein.

And then you can save the files deleting the variable vbein and renaming vbein1 back into vbein in the same time (SAVE ... /DROP vbein /RENAME=(vbein1=vbein) ...) . Then merge the files.

HTH

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Ralf Zimmermann Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:31 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: changing length of a string

Hello all,

in order to add files, variables must have the same name and format. In my case, the string var vbein has different lengths in the different files. So I´m looking for a way to change the lenght where it is inadequate, and I get the following warning.

format vbein (A50).

>Warning # 4837 in column 8. Text: VBEIN >The width of a string format must match the width of the string variable. >The correct width has been substituted.

How can I fulfill my task? Thanks a lot in advance,

-- Ralf Zimmermann Dipl. Sozialwirt

Institut für empirische Soziologie an der Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (IfeS) Marienstr. 2 / IV

90402 Nürnberg

Fon: 0911/ 23 565 -41 Fax: 0911/ 23 565 -50

www.ifes.uni-erlangen.de