Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:08:14 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DRKENDALL.ORG>
Subject:      Re: deleting single values
Comments: To: Lorenz Dobler <doblerl@uni-muenster.de>

Usually it is good practice to distinguish user-missing from system-missing. User-missing means that you have decided that a particular value is missing for a reason that you know about. System-missing is when the computer either cannot resolve the input into a meaningful result, or that a transformation cannot produce a meaningful result. "a31" or "O" (the letter oh) or "L" cannot be read as legitimate numbers. SQRT of a missing or negative negative number, etc.

One method, useful if the legitimate numbers are in a limited range. For IQ 55 to 145 is legitimate. You can specify 3 specific missing values, or a range and one specific value. if IQ gt 145 IQ= IQ * -1. Missing values IQ (lo thru 54).

Or MIssing values IQ (156 thru hi). value labels IQ 990 'test interrupted' 991 'probably faking low' 992 'little English ability' 993 'results misplaced' 994 'pattern in options chosen' 995 'behavior prevented valid test' etc.

recode city (11,22,14, 8, 40 = -1)(else=copy) into newcity.. missing values city (lo thru 0, 99). value labels 99 'refused to tell' -1 'code given not valid'.

If you really want to assign system-missing recode city (11,22,14, 8, 40 = sysmis )(else=copy) into newcity.

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA (301) 864-5570