Date:         Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:22:28 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: what am I doing wrong here
Comments: To: c halbert <cchalbertmph@YAHOO.COM>

At 12:41 PM 2/2/2005, c halbert wrote:

>I added the syntax suggested today and it will only work with 1 >line....what am I doing wrong?Thanks for everyones response > >VALUE LABEL incident_fips xxxxx 'xxxxxxx county' >VALUE LABEL incident_fips xxxxxx 'xxxx county' > > >Warning # 4492 in column 1. Text: VALUE > > >The (ADD) VALUE LABELS command included a symbol other than a value > >(either numeric or string) was expected. For compatibility with > >previous systems, a parenthesized value would have been acceptable. > >All value labels up to the next slash will be ignored.

A couple of things. First, if you have the two statements immediately adjacent, as I have them, and no command terminator ('.') on the first, the second line is taken as a continuation of the first. That's why it complains at seeing "VALUE": It's seeing the start of the second line as part of the first line.

Second, even if those statements worked, they wouldn't work. The first VALUE LABEL would label one value for incident_fips; the second one would label a second value, *but delete the first value label*.

This should work: ADD VALUE LABEL incident_fips xxxxx 'xxxxxxx county'. ADD VALUE LABEL incident_fips xxxxxx 'xxxx county'.

But this is preferred, specifying all value labels on one statement: VALUE LABEL incident_fips xxxxx 'xxxxxxx county' xxxxxx 'xxxx county'.