Date:         Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:59:35 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: How to generate pattern of responses
Comments: To: nurwu@buffalo.edu

What I found useful is creating a variable with all the individual items, though the number of different patterns in the frequency table may be awfully large. Seven items may be just right to keep you short of an unmanageable number of patterns. Syntax:

COMPUTE pattern=1000000*var1+100000*var2+10000*var3+1000*var4+100*var5+10*var6+var7.

This new variable varies between 0 (no to all items), 1 (yes only to var7), and so on through 1111111 (yes to all items). Total possible patterns are 128, though many may not appear in your dataset.

Hector