Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:49:34 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
Subject:      Re: syntax:  relative frequency in new variable
Comments: To: Lorenz Dobler <doblerl@uni-muenster.de>

Thank you, Lenz - and one remark: I have forgotten to turn off the weights. Add please this command at the end of my syntax:

WEIGHT OFF.

otherwise it will produce strange results if analyzing the data :-)

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: Lorenz Dobler [mailto:doblerl@uni-muenster.de] Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:46 AM To: Spousta Jan Subject: AW: syntax: relative frequency in new variable

Hi Jan

It works, thank you very much!! As a novice in spps-syntax I am really impressed, how fast you got the answer while I was twisting my mind for at least two days in vain . You should earn money with your comments ! ;-)

Regards

Lenz

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Spousta Jan [mailto:JSpousta@CSAS.CZ] Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. Februar 2005 10:12 An: Lorenz Dobler Betreff: RE: syntax: relative frequency in new variable

Hi Lenz, try this:

WEIGHT BY n . RANK VARIABLES=n (A) /N INTO relfreq /PRINT=NO /TIES=MEAN . COMPUTE relfreq = n / relfreq. EXECUTE. FORMATS relfreq (F4.2). VAR LAB relfreq "Relative frequency".

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Lorenz Dobler Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:08 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: syntax: relative frequency in new variable

Hello list members,

I have created an (aggregated) sav-file with absolute frequencies (=n) of case groups. Now I want to calculate relative frequencies (percentage) of groups in an additional variable. Does anyone of you have an idea how to do that with syntax ? The result should look like the following example:

Group n (sum=1000) relative frequency (?)

A 100 0.10

B 200 0.20

C 250 0.25

D 50 0.05

.... . ..

Kind regards

Lenz

Dr. Lorenz Dobler

Umweltprobenbank des Bundes - Teilbank Humanproben

Domagkstrasse 11

48149 Münster

Tel.: 0251/8352307

FAX: 0251/55524