Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:13:04 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Arthur.Kendall@verizon.net>
Subject:      Re: Syntax for PFA
Comments: To: "Frank J. Gallo" <fjgallo@verizon.net>

PFA is not an specification argument in SPSS.

a specification like /DIAGONAL = .56 .5 3*.7 .61 3*.2 would allow you to specify the max correlation that a variable has. if you specify /EXTRACTION = PAF (aka PA2) /DIAGONAL = DEFAULT would use the conventional squared multiple correlation as the communality estimate.

With no specification of /EXTRACTION the default is principal component which uses ones in the diagonal and tries to account for the total variance With specifications other than PAF, I don't know whether communality estimates are applicable.

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA (301) 864-5570