Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:54:08 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Siraj Ur-rehman <Siraj.Ur-rehman@Ipsos-ASI.com>
Subject:      Re: Count function
Comments: To: Vanessa Vacchiano <vvacchiano@metisassoc.com>

Use the mean command instead of count as

Compute avg=mean(m1,m2,m3,m4).

Siraj

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Vanessa Vacchiano Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 1:49 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Count function

I need to sum several variables together (if no more than one in the group is missing a value). Then I need to divide by the number that have a value.

It's something to this effect: if m1=not missing then count = 1 and m2= not missing then count = count +1 etc. After that, I have to compute the sum of m1+ m2 (at least 6 of the 7 variables have a value other than missing) and divide by that count variable.

Tx,

Vanessa