Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:03:10 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Christa Scholtz <scholtz@canelect.ca>
Subject:      Boxplot question

Hello,

When I generate a series of boxplots (using the GUI, admittedly) there is a black band within each box which I would assume indicates the median. I am a bit confused however, since the width of this band doesn't change relative to the size of the box/IQR. This creates some visual confusion, since my boxes have different lengths/IQRs, and hence the band covers a significant portion of those with small IQRs. Is there a way to have the boxplot generate a thin line to indicate the median versus this larger band?

Hope this is clear.

Cheers,

Christa

Christa Scholtz, PhD

Policy and Statistical Analysis / Politiques et analyse de statistiques

Government Relations / Relations gouvernementales

Canadian Electricity Association / Association canadienne de l'électricité