Date:         Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:43:17 +1030
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Barnett, Adrian (HEALTH)" <adrian.barnett@HEALTH.SA.GOV.AU>
Subject:      Re: eliminate records where the person was re-admitted on the sam
              e day that they were discharged
Comments: To: Thara Vardhan <Thara.Vardhan@djj.nsw.gov.au>

Hi Thara A couple of points: (1) if someone was admitted only once, is the first row of a group of records belonging to the one case, or is the first case in the file, they won't be selected. (2) the logic of the SELECT IF requires that the file is sorted in order of personid, admission date and discharge date, so you need to ensure the file is sorted in the way you described in your original posting

One way you can try to overcome this is to try the following (untested) syntax:

Sort cases personid admdate disdate.

Do if (personid eq lag(personid)). * grabs subsequent admissions which weren't on the same day they were discharged from previous admission. - if (admdate ne lag(disdate)) f = 1.

* ensure you grab the first record for a person and also the first record in the file:. Else if ((personid ne lag(personid)) or $casenum eq 1). - compute f = 1. End if.

Filter by f.

Hope this helps

Regards

Adrian

-- Adrian Barnett Research & Information Officer Ph: +61 8 82266615 Research, Analysis and Evaluation Fax: +61 8 82267088 Strategic Planning and Research Branch Strategic Planning and Population Health Division Department of Health email: Barnett.Adrian@saugov.sa.gov.au

God is good but don't dance in a currach. - Irish proverb

This e-mail may contain confidential information, which also may be legally privileged. Only the intended recipient(s) may access, use, distribute or copy this e-mail. If this e-mail is received in error, please inform the sender by return e-mail and delete the original. If there are doubts about the validity of this message, please contact the sender by telephone. It is the recipient's responsibility to check the e-mail and any attached files for viruses.

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Thara Vardhan Sent: Tuesday, 1 March 2005 1:16 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: eliminate records where the person was re-admitted on the same day that they were discharged

Hi Hector

I tried the syntax that you have sent me but when i run the syntax i have no records left in my data file. What have i done wrong?

What i am aiming to achieve is get a data file which will eliminate all such records. I have checked my data file and i do have records where the person has been re-admitted the same day that they were discharged.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me solve this problem.

regards thara

Thara: The simplest syntax is as follows:

SELECT IF (personid=lag(personid) and admdate NE LAG(disdate)).

This selects all records where the two records belong to the same person and the second admission date is not equal to the discharge rate in the precedent entry.

I recommend you save the working file (after this SELECT IF) under a new name. Otherwise you will lose the deleted records forever, not a very clever idea in general.

Hector

> -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf > Of Thara Vardhan > Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 9:45 PM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: eliminate records where the person was re-admitted on the > same day that they were discharged > > > Dear List members > > can you please help me with a syntax for the following problem > > I want to eliminate records where the person was re-admitted on the > same day that they were discharged. I want to write the syntax that > will delete record b. > > > for example my data contains records like these > > Personid admdate disdate > 17152 27-MAY-2003 18-JUL-2003 > 17152 18-JUL-2003 26-SEP-2003 > > Looking forward to your reply. > > regards > thara > > > Thara Vardhan > Senior Project Officer > Research, Planning & Evaluation Branch > Tel: (02) 9219-9515 > > > This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain > confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, > please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this > message are those of the individual

Thara Vardhan Senior Project Officer Research, Planning & Evaluation Branch Tel: (02) 9219-9515

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the Department of Juvenile Justice.