Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:48:25 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Geoff Matthews <gmatthew@wgu.edu>
Subject:      Converting string to numeric

I have a variable which is supposed to serve as an id number. Somehow, I have cases that have letters for a value. I've deleted them. When I try to change the variable to a numeric value, everything turns up blank.

I'm exporting the data from excel. I've tried to change the formatting there, but it hasn't worked. Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff Matthews

Institutional Research Analyst

Western Governors University