Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:18:34 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: Intrepretation from factor loading
Comments: To: Raman <snakey2001@HOTMAIL.COM>

The loading being positive or negative depends on the way your variables are coded. Suppose the variables are all about the same concept, such as living standard or cognitive ability; suppose in all but one of them a higher value of the observed variable means a higher IQ or a higher standard of living, such as SAT scores or yearly income, but one of them is coded the opposite way (lower value is better), such as "time to perform a task" or "number of people per bedroom." A factor with high positive loadings for the other variables may have a high but negative loading on this "contrarian" variable. What is important is the absolute value of the loadings. Their sign could be reversed by a different way of coding the variables. It is advisable, but not really necessary, that all variables "point the same way" in the sense that higher (or lower) scores are uniformly better in all of them.

Hector