Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:38:36 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jimmy Elam <jelam@sco.edu>
Subject:      Re: A counter-example for Einstein

Having a slow day? Jim E

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hector Maletta" <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.spssx-l To: <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:28 PM Subject: A counter-example for Einstein

John Green wrote:

Take me off the list "The significant problems we face today cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

George: In fact, Einstein was not right as regards your particular problem. You won't need to jump to higher levels of thinking to get off this list. The proof of this theorem is straightforward:

Your problem of unsubscribing was created at the time you subscribed to the list. The level of thinking you were at when you subscribed to the list was characterized by the fact that at that time you actually subscribed by sending a message to the list server, and therefore at that time you had understood that subscribing to an automated mail list (and therefore also unsubscribing) are matters dealt with by the list SERVER, not by us, mere mortal list SUBSCRIBERS like yourself. Also, upon subscribing you were informed at that time about the procedure to unsubscribe, and advised to keep the message indicating how, for future reference, a piece of advice we can presume you could also understand at the time. So if you face this significant problem of today at the same level of thinking you were at when you subscribed to the list, you should be able to address again the server (listserv@listserv.uga.edu) and issue the command UNSUBSCRIBE JOHN GREEN to get you immediately off this list.

Q.E.D.

For other matters Einstein may be right, of course.

Hector