Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:26:32 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Debarchana Ghosh <drg999@ksu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Applicability of Hosmer-Lemeshow?
Comments: To: Jonathan Woodring <jonathan.woodring@umb.edu>

> Hello, My apologies if this is elementary, but is the Hosmer-Lemeshow > test applicable when I run a binary logistic regression with about > half > of the explanatory variables being dichotomous? And if not, how might > I > test for model fit in SPSS? Thanks in advance. >

Yes the Hosmer-Lemeshow test is also applicable for binary logistic regression.

Hosmer and Lemeshow's Goodness of Fit Test tests the null hypothesis that the data are generated by the model fitted by the researcher. The test divides subjects into deciles based on predicted probabilities, and then computes a chi-square from observed and expected frequencies. Then a probability (p) value is computed from the chi-square distribution with 8 degrees of freedom to test the fit of the logistic model. If the Hosmer and Lemeshow Goodness-of-Fit test statistic is .05 or less, we accept the null hypothesis that there is no difference between the observed and model-predicted values of the dependent. (This means the model predicts values significantly different from what they ought to be, which is the observed values). If the H-L goodness-of-fit test statistic is greater than .05, as we want for well-fitting models, we fail to reject the null hypothesis that there is no difference, implying that the model's estimates fit the data at an acceptable level.

Hope this helps,

Debarchana Department of Geography Kansas State University