Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:42:22 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dennis Diskin <diskin@SNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fun with PROC FREQ
Comments: To: Daniel Reyes <junkdalejreyes@YAHOO.COM>

Daniel,

Unless you need something else from FREQ, try Proc SUMMARY. The below will give you one record with the counts non-missing for each variable in the list. You can easily calculate the percentage.

proc summary data=afile N; output out=b(where=(_stat_ eq 'N')); var a b c d e; run;

data pct; data b; set b; array vars (*) a b c d e; array pct (*) pa pb pc pd pe; do _i = 1 to dim (vars); pct(_i) = var(i) * 100 / nobs; end; output; stop; set a nobs=nobs; run;

If you insist on Proc FREQ, you can first create a format for non-missing and feq using that create on output dataset.

proc format; value nm .=' ' other='N'; run;

proc freq data=a; table a / missing out=aa(where = (a ne .)); format a nm.; run;

This technique requires a separate table statement (and output dataset) for each variable. I believe that you can simplify this using the ODS select statement.

HTH, Dennis Diskin

--- Daniel Reyes <junkdalejreyes@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > I have a dataset in which I want to the frequency > count and percentage of Variable X is NOT blank. > > There are about 35 variables to test, but if I know > how to do one, then I figure I can do the rest. > > For example, > The file is called AFILE. There are 100 records. > The > Variable X is DESC. > > Ideally, it would look something like this: > > AFILE > TOTAL = 100 > DESC = 98 recs, 98% > > I am HORRIBLE at PROC FREQ. Does anyone know of > third-party reference sources that break down the > ins > and outs of PROC FREQ? > > Thanks, > Dan > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/ >