Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:09:17 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Kraan, Egon" <ekraan@BeechAcres.org>
Subject:      Re: Factor Analysis -- never done before and need help

Since we are recommending sources, I'd like to throw in Chapter 11 in James Stevens' Applied Multivariate Statistics for the Social Sciences.

====================================== Egon Kraan Beech Acres Program Evaluation & Quality Improvement ekraan@BeechAcres.org http://www.beechacres.org

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Johnson, Jennifer Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:50 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Factor Analysis -- never done before and need help

I am a somewhat newbie to SPSS -- I've been hacking around it in off and on for a year, but it's only been in the past 3 months that I've really gotten into it and learned how to write syntax (still a new language but coming along).

Anyhow, we conducted a survey, and I have 64 image questions that I would like to use factor analysis on to boil down to a more managable number of items. I don't know anything about rotation and all that, and when I do factor analysis, I see that it gives me 13 factors -- the first one accounts for the greatest correlation, the others drop down considerably after that.

Is there a good book on Factor Analysis in SPSS or could anyone give me some advice in determining what's what? I know that's a giant request, but I guess I am exceptionally needy on this project.

Many thanks in advance!

Jennifer Johnson Research Manager Morris Communications 725 Broad Street Augusta, GA 30901 706-823-3470 jennifer.johnson@morris.com

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Bob Schacht Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:36 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: instant statisticians?

At 11:26 AM 4/25/2005, Nels Tomlinson wrote: >Yes, ``instant statisticians'' may not be the majority of the >questioners, but they are the majority of the ones that stick in one's >craw...

I'm a relative newbie to this list, but I've been using SPSSX since the days when it was only run on mainframes. I've also been a statistical consultant, and a statistical programmer for a University computer center (though that was long ago). I've also recently migrated to this list from an SPSS list on Yahoo Groups, where there seem to be more questions from left field. Or rather seemingly from 3rd world countries where analysts seemed to employ statistical procedures chosen at random-- but perhaps I was not paying sufficiently close attention.

Some of the annoying statistical questions resemble a current statistical fashion statement. For example, Factor Analysis for a while was regarded as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you were regarded as a beginner until you had published at least one paper using Factor Analysis. The most common question was not "Does factor analysis make any sense in this application?" but "How can I do factor analysis with this data?" More recently, logistic regression seems to be the method of choice, whether it fits or not. I think there may also be certain pressures in Grad School that drive the choice of methods. I generally prefer to use the simplest statistic that will get the job done.

I am in a new job, in which large multiple data sets must be matched, duplicate cases identified and removed, and for which it seems that drop-down menus often don't seem adequate, so I am having to write more syntax than usual. I have done OK so far, but occasionally may need advice about writing syntax statements. I use the syntax manual on my hard drive mostly (It is SO nice to be able to search it electronically!), but may occasionally get stumped. I'll try to keep any questions well-focused.

Bob

Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D. <schacht@hawaii.edu> Pacific Basin Rehabilitation Research & Training Center 1268 Young Street, Suite #204 Research Center, University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI 96814