Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:24:51 +0000
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Ian Whitlock <iw1junk@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:   Re: Dataset wont Delete
Comments:   cc: Daniel Boisvert <djboisvert@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dan,

Several years ago somebody asked a question like this. As I remember it, SI has a special thing about data sets with names that begin with _TO. It seems to think this is there private name space for data sets. Of course, documentation for this is by secrecy.

This code (run on 8.2) seems to verify my memory.

data _tojunk ; x = 1 ; run ; proc datasets lib = work ; delete _tojunk ; run ; quit ; data _null_ ; set _tojunk ; put x= ; run ;

Try using the operating system instead of SAS to delete the data set.

Ian Whitlock =================== Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:30:59 -0400 Reply-To: Daniel Boisvert <djboisvert@HOTMAIL.COM> Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" From: Daniel Boisvert <djboisvert@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Dataset wont Delete SAS experts, I am very confused. In my program I make a dataset (with PROC SQL) called _toexport. The dataset is then exported to EXCEL. I then try to delete the dataset so that it wont accidently get exported again using the following code: PROC DATASETS MT=DATA LIB=WORK KILL; QUIT; In the explorer window under work the _toexport dataset is not shown. But when I type VT _toexport on the command line, the dataset opens. Also if I do : DATA confused; SET _toexport; RUN; The data is read in! But, the following code brings up a warning that the dataset is not found! PROC DATASETS MT=DATA LIB=WORK; DELETE _toexport; QUIT;

Why can't I delete this dataset? Thanks, Dan