Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:03:39 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         greg warnick <greg.warnick@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      SAS date format for reading Sybase date output
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

hi,

I am delivered flat text files from Sybase using SQL Advantage and then the file gets ftp'd to me. No problem, until I try to read the dates in. SAS seems to have a format for every date you could dream up except the default one in Sybase: Jan 15 2005. Note that SAS has WORDDATE., but this expects a comma between the day and the year. Since the data that gets delivered changes and the variables themselves change depending on different factors, I cannot write a convert or cast statement into the SQL code, just SELECT * FROM TABELX. I do get the first line that contains the variable name, but thats all the metadata that gets delivered. i would rather process the data in SAS (than use SQL Server BCP) and am considering using regular expressions but would rather find a format to use in the input statement. Any suggestions, hints, tricks, caveats or otherwise?

Thansk, SAS-L.

Greg