Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 May 2005 04:03:17 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         RolandRB <rolandberry@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: %fmtpath macro failes.
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Can you post here an SCL replacement example of my %nobs macro? I tend to use the macro like this within macros so that I do something conditional on the dataset having any observations or not:

%if %nobs(dset) %then %do; .... .... %end;

The %nobs macro does contain calls to SCL but I gather you have something else in mind. Would an SCL replacement be called in the same way or if differently then can you please explain, again with an example? %nobs is a function-style macro. Can this be done with SCL?

I have used other languages such as COBOL II, MBASIC and MODULA II that is totally unlike SAS but I have difficulty making the logical jump to what you are suggesting. Would these SCL macros/modules be called the same way or are you suggesting a major departure from current SAS usage and for us to relearn SAS programming? I understand you are writing a book on this. I think you would have a very interested audience for this book if only you could help us make the logical leap.