Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 May 2005 16:39:36 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         SAS User <sasuser@DVOL.COM>
Subject:      SAS/AF or SCL pick list creation and use

The Good news: Running SAS 9.1.3 on Windows Terminal Server 2003, Base, AF, STAT. Graph

The Bad News: Not an AF or SCL programmer, old school(read batch mode) mentality, HATE GUIs but have to live in the real world now.

The problem: Need to create a SAS application(no perl, JAVA, VB, VBA, PHP, Python, C, C++, PASCAL, MUMPS, PL/1,etc) that is user-friendly. This means not letting the user type anything and only click and pick. That is fine by me beacause I can't type that well myself and long directory and filesnames are my personal nemesis.

For the sake of simplicity, because I can create all the datasets and handle the other coding issues(when my brain is working), I need to create a window with a pick list with the members of the list coming from a SAS dataset for the user to pick from. Have the user pick one, and repeat that several times. Essentially I am guiding the user down through a directory tree to pick out the files that they want to process, and not let them enter something that doesn't exist in the dataset.

I know for you SCL-heads this is absurdly easy, but I have never had the oppurtunity to write AF/SCL code before as the sites I worked at either did not license SAS/AF, did not want GUI solutions, or it was in the bad old:) 5.18, 6.3,6.04-6.12 days when there were no SCL functions available.

Eventually I know I need to take a class at The Institute on AF/SCL but I don't have that luxury right now.

Any pointers to code, articles, training imaterials, or actual code would be greatly appreciated.

Niell Thorsten