Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:27:08 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gerhard Hellriegel <ghellrieg@T-ONLINE.DE>
Subject:      Re: SAS help on data analysis

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:01:06 -0400, Mike Smith <del101679@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Hi. I wanted to compute the average of every five numbers in my data set in >SAS. How do I do it? Thanks.

Thats not clear: where are that five numbers? In one obs? in five?

If it is so, that you want to get buckets with 5 obs each and want to get the average of a numeric variable of that buckets, you might do something like that:

data a; do number=1 to 1000; output; end; run;

data x; retain xx 0; set a; if mod(_n_,5)=1 then xx+1; run;

proc summary data=x nway missing; class xx; var number; output out=avg mean=; run;

It is: add a value like xx which has always the same content for 5 obs (0 for the first five, 1 for the next five, ... Then use proc summary to get your statistic (mean=).