Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:58:06 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET>
Subject:      Re: SAS to excel.
Comments: To: "Barz, Ken" <Ken.Barz@INTRADO.COM>

Actually, I haven't heard of a continuation of vbscript. At TechEd, they were touting XML as the basis of all of Office and .NET as the controlling framework. That seems to imply VB.NET and C# as the main languages for Office in the future.

Check this link out:

http://www.devx.com/DevX/Article/15821

Thanks, Alan

Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" http://www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Barz, Ken Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 1:39 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS to excel.

>>Also, vbscript is going to go the way of dde.

Granted, but there will be a .net flavor of both it and jscript (javascript, ecmascript) or so that's what I hear. I actually saw something where they were talking about Cobol.net, Fortran.net, and APL.net. (Boy those were the days.)

I've actually spent the last few years away from SAS, working more with VB.Net and SQL Server before hiring on in this SAS job. I guess when I think about how I would do it with .Net, the SAS tagset approach seems excruciating. Ken

-----Original Message----- From: Alan Churchill [mailto:SASL001@savian.net] Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 2:06 PM To: Barz, Ken; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: SAS to excel.

Ken,

Delimited works. However, without the metadata, there is no way to tell Excel about formatting, data types, etc. unless those are already defined. XML handles this nicely and, while seemingly daunting at first, is easy to work with since Excel creates the initial template for you. Just some considerations.

Also, vbscript is going to go the way of dde. It works and will for some time but it is on its last iteration. The future of Office is XML and .NET.

Thanks, Alan

Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" http://www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Barz, Ken Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 12:56 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS to excel.

As dde hasn't been supported for quite some time and the tag based solutions seem pretty complicated, I opted to have SAS do its thing and save down to a csv file. The SAS calls the following vbscript to have an excel macro take it from there with formatting and subtotaling and whatnot:

Option Explicit Dim strDate, strCmd, strErr,rc

' Check for arguments If (Wscript.Arguments.Count < 2) Then Wscript.Echo "Required Parameter missing" Wscript.Quit End If

' Retrieve arguments strDate= Wscript.Arguments(0) strErr = Wscript.Arguments(1)

' Command string for macro "LoadData" with one parameter strCmd = "'" & "LoadData """ & strDate & """'"

If strErr = "0" Then Dim objXL Set objXL = WScript.CreateObject("Excel.Application") objXL.DisplayAlerts = FALSE objXL.WorkBooks.Open "\\Inmrc\temp\Reports.xls" objXL.Visible = FALSE objXL.Run(strCmd) objXL.Quit Set objXL = Nothing rc = 1 Else rc = 2 End If

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Arthur Tabachneck Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:50 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS to excel.

David,

You might want to take a look through the various papers and code at: http://www.sas-consultant.com/professional/papers.html