Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:52:13 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Carey G. Smoak" <carey.smoak@ROCHE.COM>
Subject:      Re: challenging probability (baseball) question
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Yes, I realize that there are 30 teams (my mistake). I was trying to figure out HOW to approach this question.

By the way, Charles Thomas is in the minors (Sacramento). It has been well discussed in local newspapers for the past month that the Oakland A's do not currently have an African-American player on their current 25-man team roster.

A local newspaper columnist (who is African-American) has been adamant that the A's ownership is not racist - just cheap. His point has been that African-American baseball players TEND to be more expensive than non-African-American baseball players. So, that is his explanation for why the A's don't currently have an African-American baseball player on their 25-man team roster.

My point is that since there is only 10% of major league baseball players that it would not be surprising that if one team had no African-American baseball players on their team. In other words, by chance alone there could be at least one team with no African-American baseball players on one team. I have thought of several simulations (e.g., holding a mock draft), but have not come up with a really good way to quantify the probabiility.

Regards,

Carey