Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:50:01 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS in Unix for Beginers

ddraj2015@GMAIL.COM wrote: >I have been working with PC SAS. Now I am trying to learn SAS in Unix >environment. I don't know about Unix. I need help in learning SAS in Unix >environment. I would be very happy if somebody could help me in giving the >commands I need to use for writing a SAS program and executing those >programs etc.

The key thing is that most of SAS is platform-independent. I used to maintain a mammoth sample-survey process which (with embedded documentation) was over 100K.. and it ran the same on all OSsa.

Still, you'll have to pay attention to little things that reach out into the OS, like LIBNAME and FILENAME statements which insist that you use the proper form for directories and paths and filenames. There are things which work on win32 which don't work anywhere else, like OLE and access to MS Office products, but that's only natural.

The SAS Online Documentation has a section titled "Base SAS". Under that, there's a section called "Operating Environment Specific Information". That has just about all the things you need to watch for in SAS.

But the big differences will be in the non-SAS things. How do you call SAS? How do you edit your SAS programs? If you do both from within the Display Manager, all you'll see willbe that the DM will look a bit different. Otherwise, you'll need to think about learning a new editor, maybe a different batch programming language, etc.

You may find it harder to learn how to write memos in unix in your new (and different) word processor than it will be to learn to use SAS in unix. :-)

David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/