Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:21:04 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marc Scoppettone <mscoppettone@IAGR.NET>
Subject:      Re: multinomial vs. ordinal
Comments: To: Winny Chi <yanfangc@USC.EDU>

Hi Winnie,

Ordinal regression is a special case of multinomial logistic regression. Both require a dependent variable that is categorical with more than two categories. However, the ordinal model also requires that the categories be ordinal. The ordinal regression is more commonly referred to as the proportional odds model.

For example, suppose you have five categories. The multinomial logisitc model will have a base outcome (say, outcome 5), and then estimate the odds ratio of any other outcome relative to outcome 5. It makes not assumptions about the relation between, say outcome 1 and outcome 2 except the restriction that all of the probabilities add up to 1.

However, the proportional odds model will estimate the odds of being in, say, outcome x or better versus the outcome of being in outcome y or worse. This goes for all x > y (in terms of ordinality).

The proportional odds model assumes the same affect of an explanatory factor for all levels. However, the general multinomial logistic model will give one parameter estimate for each explanatory factor at each of (n- 1) levels of the dependent variable.

Alan Agresti's "Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis" has a nice simple discussion (much much clearer than mine!!!)